Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Drummers go Crash Boom Bang

Reid just posted this article over on North Point's music blog, regarding my favorite subject as a drummer, cymbals.

Which of course got me thinking about my own cymbals, (Because I'm ALWAYS looking for new/new old cymbals). Lifepoint's standard cymbals (which are, in all honesty needing to be replaced at some point, but it's not a big priority), include a set of Sabian Hats (And I honestly don't remember what series) a B8 crash (16") a B8pro crash (Again 16") and an 20" XS series Ride.

My current set of cymbals are as follows: 1 10" Sabian HHX Splash, 1 12" AAX Sabian Splash, 1 12" A Custom Zildjian splash, 1 16" A Zildjian crash, 1 18" A Custom Zildjian Crash, 1 20" K Custom (My Baby!) Zildjian Ride, 1 mix pair (K custom bottom, K top) Zildjian hats (I really got a good deal on those, like half of what they're worth). I also had (until two weeks ago) a Cobalt River 14" crash. This was a cheap (very cheap) cymbal but had a very nice trashy crash sound, I need to replace it soon, and as it was a 15? 20? dollar cymbal, replacing it is nowhere as difficult as replacing one of the other cymbals in my collection.

When will I have enough cymbals? I'm not sure. They're not a huge priority for me budget wise, but they are something I'm always looking at/for. I'd love to get some meinl's to try but no one carries them locally, and while I've gotten a couple of my collection via ebay, I do prefer to test out a cymbal before I buy it.

So gifts for me can include itune giftcards and cymbals. I like Zildjian A Custom, and K Custom series, Sabian Paragon, Vault, or any series that ends in an "X", Meinl Byzance and Soundcaster Series, Paiste Signature and 2002 series. Yeah Guitarists have it cheap. They get a few guitars, and sure the cost several grand... drummers collect cymbals, at anywhere from 100-700 a pop, and some drummers (Say like John "Bermuda" Schwartz best known for his work with "Weird" Al Ynkovic) Has collections spanning hundreds (over 400 in his case).


And yes this was a rather Random Post

No comments: