Saturday, January 5, 2008

Drummer Resources

For any Drummers out there here are a few really handy resources that I've picked up the last few months.

Well first of, one of the (at least in my opinion) best websites for drummers out there is Bernhard Castiglioni's Drummerworld (I know I've linked Vic Firth, Promark, and Vater's Websites in previous posts) But Drummerworld has video, audio, transcription and an active forum for drummers, it's also directly responsible for introducing me to several new drummers one of which I'll mention later.

Why a sudden drum post? Well my copy of Gavin Harrison's Rhythmic Visions & Horizons just arrived and I've been enjoying it immensely. However I would rate it for more advanced drummers, the very concepts of poly-rhythms and rhythmic illusions would have scared me off in my earlier days. (Gavin Harrison is the Drummer for the Progressive Rock Band Porcupine Tree, and voted the #1 prog drummer in the Modern Drummer 2007 poll). Honestly the real reason I bought this (Though the education part of it is really well don't don't get me wrong) but it comes with the loop for 19 days, (which you can watch him perform live at music messe on drummerworld) and it's an amazing song in 19/8 time.

Also picked up Tommy Igoe's groove essentials, this is a great resource for new and veteran drummers alike, it comes in three formats (that I know of) The Book/Cd, The DVD and the combo (both the book/CD and the DVD) I personally recommend the latter. The CD that comes with the book has all the loop tracks for the songs that are performed on the DVD (See how neatly it all fits together?)

Finally Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer. For those of you who don't recognize the name, Jojo is a phenomenal drummer who I first found out about on drummerworld... oh 2 years ago? (Look at his earlier videos) he's been big in the Drum and Bass world, especially with his group NERVE, but if there are any drummers out there who don't know who he is, that'll end now that SWFTMD is out. (I bought the first copy release at my local Guitar center. It's an encyclopedia of technique, exercises and tips. Perfect from the beginning drummer (showing proper grip) to the advanced drummer (with the shops workshop portion).

No comments: