Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Drive Notes Volume 1

Originally Drive Update #3
Update: http://www.driveconference.org/ highlights video is up and awesome.

(When I started this post) I wanted to put up a few notes from last night's session, something I wasn't quote sure I had the mental capacity for by the time I actually got to sit down to type last night.

Point #1
The Church should be the best run organization in your community, I mean look at it, it
a) already has a single uniting vision, seeing people who are far from God experience His plan for their lives.
b) is full of Christians
c) is run by people who are passionate about reaching for Christ

Point #2
To maintain the relational integrity and operate as a team we must choose to trust and be trustworthy.

There often gaps between what we expect of people and what actually happens. We choose to place either trust of suspicion in the gaps.

Two things that make it difficult for us to trust is Who I am, what is my background experience that gives our natural outlook a certain color, and what I see, what have I experience from this person that would color my view from an event.

Three commitments we need to make (And that I will if I have not already made, or shown that I make to my team):

a) When there is a gap between what I expect and what I see I will fill it with trust.
b) When I observe someone filing a gap with suspicion I will come to your defense.
c) If what I expect begins to erode my trust I will come directly to you about it.

Point #3
Being trustworthy is not the equivalent of being flawless in character or performance, it meant being worthy of trust. A trustworthy person comes and addresses the gaps they've created.

There are three commitments we need to make (And that I will if I have not already made, or shown that I make to my team):

a) I commit to do what I say I will do and when I don't I'll tell you.
b) I commit to not over promise and under deliver. But if it looks like that's where things are headed I'll tell you.
c) If you confront me about the gaps I have created I'll tell you the truth.

Where there are gaps there are three causes for blame.
a) A person
b) Human Nature
c) A system

What is the first line of response when something goes wrong?
When something goes wrong it is important to address is quickly. The longer you wait the more likely you are to over communicate (ie blow up) your response.

Here are the take away questions from the session,
1) Are there people in your organization that you have a difficult time trusting?
2) Is it your issue or theirs?
3) What can you do about your part.
4) What do you need to address with them about their parts?
5) Who do you sense has a difficult time trusting you?
6) Why?
7) What can you do about it?

There are a few other points that didn't make it to my review.... just think of it as a reason to get to drive next year!

One of my biggest take away was something that Andy said, To reach people no one else is reaching we need to do things no one else is doing,.

1 comment:

c.w. goad said...

Love the post. What a way to live raw.... that's great.

www.ferventservant.blogspot.com